|Chronological and Political information|
|Era||Rise of the Empire Era|
Hondo Ohnaka was a Weequay male pirate and the captain of the Ohnaka Gang, a Weequay pirate group, on the backwater planet Florrum during the waning years of the Galactic Republic. Born to a poor family, Ohnaka was sold as a child into slavery by his parents. Ohnaka eventually managed to escape the life of slavery by stowing away on an offworld ship, after which he formed a group of pirates on Florrum. Ohnaka's pirates flourished during the Clone Wars by dealing spice and receiving ransoms through kidnapping and extortion.
One of these kidnappings was eventually Count Dooku, the Head of State of the Confederacy of Independent Systems fighting against the Galactic Republic during the Clone Wars. Realizing how valuable Dooku was, Ohnaka attempted to sell him to the Galactic Republic for a hefty spice ransom. The ensuing hostage crisis also led to the capture of the Jedi Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker. The Jedi and Dooku managed to escape with the assistance of a squad of clone troopers led by Representative Jar Jar Binks of the Galactic Senate. Ohnaka later confronted the Jedi once again on Felucia during one of his routine raids on an agricultural settlement, though the Jedi and a team of bounty hunters, led by Sugi, fought off Ohnaka and his pirate forces.
Later in the Clone Wars, he agreed to deliver missile launchers to the Onderon rebels after being met by Skywalker. Some time after that, his base was destroyed in a raid by General Grievous, forcing him to team up with a group of Jedi Initiates to escape. In 20 BBY, the Sith Lord Darth Maul and his brother/apprentice Savage Opress arrived at Florrum to hire a gang of bounty hunters. Ohnaka and loyalist pirates, aided by the Jedi Kenobi and Adi Gallia, fought and defeated the two brothers.
Eventually, Hondo's gang was dissolved with the rise of the Galactic Empire, and Hondo cast adrift as a small-time pirate and smuggler. Ultimately, he would indirectly aid the growing rebellion against the Empire, providing critical aid and intelligence at pivotal moments.
- "Hondo Ohnaka's Not-So-Big Score"—Star Wars Insider 144
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Dooku Captured" (First appearance)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "The Gungan General"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bounty Hunters"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Lethal Trackdown"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Assassin" (Mentioned only)
- The Clone Wars: Hunting the Hunters (Part I)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Tipping Points"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Test of Strength"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Bound for Rescue"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "A Necessary Bond"
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars – "Revival"
- The Clone Wars: Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy
- Lone Wolf: A Tale of Obi-Wan and Luke (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "Brothers of the Broken Horn"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Legends of the Lasat"
- Star Wars Rebels: Steps Into Shadow
- Star Wars Rebels – "Imperial Super Commandos" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Wynkahthu Job"
- Star Wars Rebels – "The Occupation" (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Rebels – "A Fool's Hope"
- Star Wars Rebels – "Family Reunion – and Farewell"