Kessel IV was a planet located in the Kessel Sector of the Outer Rim Territories. For many years, the planet was populated with Pykes, in which was under the control of the Pyke Syndicate. The Pykes dealt with a lot of spice mined from the planet, hiring smugglers and freighter captains to deliver it to the crime families of Coruscant, the capital world of the Old Galactic Republic.
Following the end of the Clone Wars, Kessel IV still remained under the control of the Pyke Syndicate until the Galactic Empire took exact control over the system. During the Imperial Period, Empire operated a mining operation, employing numerous slaves, including Wookiees, to harvest spice. An imperial Kessel Royal Family lived in lush sanctuaries in the planet's southern hemisphere, turning a blind eye to the brutal working conditions in the mines of the northern hemisphere.
- Solo: A Star Wars Story
- Rebel Journal by Ezra Bridger
- Star Wars Rebels: Spark of Rebellion (First appearance)
- The Rebellion Begins
- Droids in Distress
- Ezra's Wookiee Rescue
- Servants of the Empire: Rebel in the Ranks (Mentioned only)
- —Star Wars Rebels Magazine Return of the Slavers (Mentioned only)
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (First mentioned)
- Heir to the Jedi (Mentioned only)